A Galor Class cruiser
The Cardassian Union (also referred to as the Cardassian Empire or Cardassia) is the official governing body of the Cardassian people. The Union is a major political power in the Alpha Quadrant of the Milky Way and the current head of state is Natima Lang. After many years of reform, it now maintains strong ties with many other states although numerous Cardassians joined the True Way, which fights to bring Cardassia back to its old militaristic and imperialistic ways.
- 1 Politics
- 2 History
- 3 Missions Involved
- 4 Military
- 5 Space
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
The Union was originally forged by the poverty of the Cardassian home world. Lack of resources forced the Cardassians to expand. This way, an aggresssive, militaristic colonial power emerged. After the devastation of the Dominion War the Union is reverting to a more liberal and civil society. The Union is ruled by the Detapa Council. Currently Natima Lang is the head of state. The new democratic Cardassia is challenged by the militaristic True Way rebellion.
- See also the full article on Cardassian history on Memory Alpha.
- Cardassia loses a number of its sacred jevonite artifacts.
- Cardassia was the site of a landing by a Bajoran solar-sail craft, which was accelerated to warp speeds when passing through the Denorios Belt. This occurred in the 1560s (Earth calendar) and was covered up by the Cardassian government until the trip was recreated by Benjamin Sisko in a replica vessel in the 2360s. This may represent Cardassia's first contact with sentient alien life.
The 24th century
- Bajor was occupied and oppressed for nearly half of the 24th century, until the Cardassian Union withdrew in the 2360s. During the Occupation, a space station known as Terok Nor was constructed in orbit of Bajor, to serve as a base of operations for the occupation forces. Gul Dukat served as prefect of Bajor and commander of Terok Nor during the last years of the occupation. After the Cardassian withdrawl (resulting in Bajoran independence), Terok Nor became Bajoran territory and, at the invitation of the Bajoran government, a Federation starbase. It was staffed by a mixed Starfleet and Bajoran Militia crew and renamed Deep Space Nine.
- During this time, the Cardassian Union also fought a minor war against the Federation. During the 2360s, this war was no longer active but technically unresolved, and several colonies were established by both sides in the border region. When a treaty was eventually reached, several of these colonies found themselves on the 'wrong' sides of the border, and after an abortive attempt to evacuate them, the Federation and Cardassian Union enclosed the colonies in a Demilitarized Zone. The colonies then went to war against one another. The Cardassian Union secretly supported the Cardassian colonies, while the Federation attempted to interdict arms shipments by Federation and neutral sympathizers to the Maquis (the forces of the Federation colonies, many of whom were former Starfleet officers). This, as well as the outbreak of the Dominion War, eventually led to a Cardassian victory and the destruction of the Federation colonies and the Maquis.
Dominion War (2373-2375)
- The Cardassian Union joined the Dominion to conquer the Alpha Quadrant and suffered greatly while the Federation Alliance eventually achieved victory. Another major member of the Dominion was the Breen Confederacy.
Post-War crises and reconstruction efforts (2379-2385)
- Following the Dominion War, Cardassia Prime plunges into an economic crisis. (2379/2380)
- The Cardassians refuse to extradite members of their government and military to stand trial for war crimes committed during the Dominion War and the occupation of Bajor. (2381)
- In 2382, 472 Cardassians from the Bajor coalition's war crimes list disappear from Cardassia Prime within four months.
- In the following year, Cardassia Prime is swept by a resurgence supporting religion and spirituality.
- Although the Federation Council and the Union support leaving the established borders of the Federation-Cardassian Treaty of 2370, the Bajor coalition demands the Cardassians to surrender colonies granted to them in the treaty. (2385)
- Meanwhile on Cardassia, the U.S.S. Pasteur supports the reconstruction of medical facilities and hospitals.
Path of redemption and democratization (2386-2392)
- A new treaty between the Union and the Federation is signed: While the Cardassians agree neither to field a military nor to wage war, Starfleet is assigned to protect Cardassian space if an invasion should happen. In response to the agreement, the requests for prosecution of Cardassians for war crimes is dropped by Bajor. (2386)
- The military is reformed into the smaller Cardassian Self-Defence Force, or CDF, the following year. In addition, the CDF's operations are restricted to Cardassian space.
- A token force consisting of six ships is sent by the provisional Detapa Council to aid Romulan relief efforts following the destruction of Romulus. Concerned with the conservation of Cardassia's remaining resources, popular opinion is against this decision. (2388)
- Elections on Cardassia are supervised by the Federation. The civilian coalition led by Elim Garak narrowly defeats the hardliner faction under Gul Madred, who demand the withdrawal from the latest Federation-Cardassian Treaty and the resurrection of the military. (2389)
- Later the same year, Madred aquires rights, allowing him to mine several mineral-rich planetoids in Cardassian space. He has a large mining oeration built on Septimus.
- In 2390, Garak and the Grand Nagus of the Ferengi Alliance, Rom, sign several contracts. The Alliance returns sacred Jevonite artifacts and invests into the restart of Cardassian industrial complexes. The Ferengi receive favorable trade agreements for goods of the rebuild industry in exchange.
- A series of reforms is signed by the Detapa Council to promote economic stabilty and a growth of population. In addition, thousands of displaced military officers are folded into civilian industries. (2392)
Stabilization and birth of the True Way (2392-2402)
- A significant minority of the former officers join the mining operations on Septimus.
- At the same time, the Union begins to export large amounts of uridium and kelindide via Ferengi brokers. One of the first major clients are the Romulans.
- Natima Lang, one of the prominet political figures of the Union, negotiates with the Remans in order to get warp drives and additional dilithium for Cardassian ships.
- In addition, the Union begins to sell Cardassian technology across the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
- Gul Madred claims that the CDF cannot protect his mining operations and contracts Alpha Jem'Hadar for security.
- 75 warships and a undetermined amount of weapons known to have survived the Dominion War are reported missing by an audit authorized by the Detapa Council.
- Relations with Bajor are officially normalized in 2400 and an embassy is opened on Deep Space 9.
- Natima Lang becomes the leader of the Detapa Council and the Cardassian Union in 2401.
- In the same year, the Cardassian Science Ministry announces the development of a cure for the Pottrik syndrome.
- Cardassian Intelligence informs Lang that Madred's forces possess some of the missing ships. (2402)
War of the True Way Alliance (2409)
- See main article: True Way Alliance
- “Second Wave”: Garak attends the conference on the Borg at Deep Space Nine, representing the Cardassian Union.
- “Surface Tension”: Garak represents the Cardassian Union at the Jenolan Dyson Sphere conference.
- “The Temporal Front”: Garak represents the Cardassian Union once at the Alliance Summit on New Romulus.
- “Standoff”: The player attempts to resolve a dispute between Cardassians in the Bajor System when Gul Antos is accused of joining the True Way.
- “Blood of Ancients”: Cardassian Union military are present at the briefing on Earth Space Dock.
- “Midnight”: A Cardassian ship, the C.U.V. Damar, takes part in the Alliance's defence of Earth.
- “The Search”: Garak leads a Cardassian fleet with the player to investigate Hur'q activity on the edge of Dominion space.
- For missions involving Cardassians of the True Way faction, see True Way Alliance#Missions involved
Cardassian ships along with former Dominion allies.
|Details||Cardassian Union • Cardassian • Cardassia Prime|
|Ground Forces||Gil • Glinn • Gul • Interrogator • Legate • Assault Legate|
|Starships||Hideki Class • Galor Class • Keldon Class|
|NPCs||Antos • Elim Garak • Natima Lang • Surjan • Rugan Skyl|
|NPC starships||C.U.V. Damar • C.U.V. Tain|
Factions by Quadrant
|α||Breen Confederacy • Cardassian Union • Deferi • Drantzuli • Federation (Starfleet) • Ferengi Alliance • Kentari Union • Lukari Concordium • Na'kuhl • Tholian Assembly • True Way Alliance • Tzenkethi Coalition|
|β||Federation (Starfleet • DSC Starfleet • TOS Starfleet) • Gorn Hegemony • Iconian • Klingon Empire (Klingon Defense Force) • Klingon Empire Rebels • Klingons (2256) • Nausicaan • Orion Syndicate • Romulan Republic • Romulan Star Empire • Reman Resistance • Son'a • Vulcan|
|γ||Dominion • Fek'Ihri Horde • Hur'q|
|Δ||Automated Personnel Unit • Benthan • Borg Collective • The Cooperative • Bluegill • Hazari • Hierarchy • Hirogen • Kazon • Kobali • Krenim • Malon • Ocampa • Octanti • Talaxian • Turei • Tuterian • Vaadwaur Supremacy • Voth|
|Others||Creatures • Devidian • Elachi • Terran Empire • Undine (Species 8472) • Vorgon|