- In 2244, Straal and his research partner Paul Stamets discovered a mycelial network spanning the universe. They theorized that it may be possible to travel along this network, crossing vast distances nearly instantaneously.
- By 2256, Straal was assigned to the Glenn, one of two prototype vessels testing the prototype "spore drive." During a test of the propulsion system Straal and the crew of the Glenn were killed.
- “Secrets”: When the Glenn is damaged by a Klingon boarding party in 2256, Straal enlists the player's help to repair the damage, and secure classified data located in the vessel's engineering lab. There, they are attacked by J'Ula, who is able to download some of the data and escape. Straal refuses to divulge the nature of the data - or the strange creature found in the lab - to the player.
- Straal at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Justin Straal at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.