A Prophet appearing as Romulan.
The Prophets are a non-playable race who reside inside the Bajoran wormhole and live outside the normal spacetime continuum. The Prophets take special interest in Bajoran affairs and are revered by them as gods.
Prophets consider mortal humanoids limited in perception, therefore they take on the appearance of persons known to whom they speak. Being outside time enables them to initiate time travel experiences for mortals.
The Prophets consider themselves, the Bajorans and Benjamin Sisko as "of Bajor", suggesting that the planet is their place of origin. Little is known about their society and culture. Bajorans and other mortals use the Orbs to enter contact with the wormhole aliens, although they may not answer. An Orb experience is a vision sent by the Prophets and is not bestowed on everyone.
The structure of Prophet society is unknown. In Orb experiences or meetings in the Celestial Temple (a physical manifestation of their realm inside the Bajoran wormhole) groups of them talk one after another, albeit not indicating a hierarchy. It is possible that they are equal, with no social stratification at all.
Contact with other species occur at their whim. Mortals can try to call them by seeking an Orb experience. The Emissary is a kind of ambassador to the Bajoran people. The current Emissary is Benjamin Sisko, since 2369.
- In ancient times, the Prophets sent the Orbs, also called "Tears of the Prophets", to the Bajorans. These also have counterparts in the Mirror Universe.
- The Prophets did not intervene to prevent the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor in the 24th century.
- Benjamin Sisko discovered the Bajoran wormhole in 2369 and became the Emissary of the Prophets. (Emissary)
- At Sisko's insistence the Prophets removed the 2,800 Dominion ships passing the wormhole from time in 2374. (Sacrifice_of_Angels, Season 5 Dev Diary #22)
- In 2375 Sisko, by defeating the Pah-wraiths, fulfils the role the Prophet's laid out for him when they arranged his birth. He leaves corporeal existence to live among them in the wormhole.
- “Jabberwocky”: The Prophets contact the player when they bring the Orb of Possibilities to Bajor.
- “Second Wave”: The Dominion fleet is put back into place in 2409. Caught off-guard, Deep Space 9 is conquered by the Jem'Hadar with ease. Starfleet retreats to Bajor. ("Second Wave")
- “Of Bajor” ("Petition the Prophets" sub-quest): With the Orb of Prophecy and Change the player has an Orb experience in the Ha'dara Temple in Hathon, Bajor. The Prophets explain that the Dominion fleet had to be put back because "A hand that remains closed ceased to be hand." ("Of Bajor: Petition the Prophets")
Missions formerly involved
- “Crack in the Mirror”: The Orb of Possibilities is switched with its mirror counterpart by the Terran Empire. A Prophet appearing as Danna Brott informs the player that the Orbs must the returned. ("Crack in the Mirror")
- “The Other Side”: The Orbs of Possibilities are merged on Arawath (mirror), ending the threat of Terran invasion. ("The Other Side")