Re-engineering is a mechanic designed to allow an item's modifier (mod) to be re-rolled at a scaling cost of Dilithium and Salvage. The exact cost depends on how many available mods you wish to re-roll. The re-rolling is random, but it will not re-roll to the existing mod.
The "Re-Engineer Item" option is available by right clicking on an item in Inventory. It is also a tab available from the Upgrade screen for an item that can be accessed either by right clicking on an item in inventory, or by clicking on "Upgrade" button at the bottom left corner of Inventory window.
Re-engineering was introduced with the Anniversary update of Season 14.
Salvage is rewarded from salvaging equipment obtained from the received loot drops, much the same way you would discard or inspect an item. Salvaging the piece of equipment will destroy it and reward an amount of Salvage based on the equipment’s Mark and Quality.
As of release, some items and modifiers cannot be re-engineered. Items include:
- All Warp Cores, except the only one that can be re-engineered, which is:
- Singularity Cores
- Kit Frames (currently the only re-engineerable Kit Frame is the [Risian Kit])
- Most Unique Bind on Pickup episode rewards
Non-re-engineerable modifiers include:
- [Amp] (space crafted Shield Arrays)
- [Arc] (space crafted weapons)
- [Borg] (ground Omega reputation weapons)
- [CdrD] (space crafted Deflector Dishes)
- [Damp] (space crafted Impulse Engines)
- [Heal] (space crafted Shield Arrays])
- [Inertia] (space crafted Impulse Engines)
- [Over] (space crafted Beam Arrays and Dual Beam Banks)
- [Pen] (space crafted weapons)
- [Proc] (space and ground reputation weapons)
- [Rapid] (space crafted Cannons and Turrets)
- [Run] (ground crafted weapons)
- [ShPen] (ground crafted weapons)
- [Snare] (space crafted weapons)
- [Sonic] (ground Nukara reputation weapons)
- [Spr] (space crafted Torpedo Launchers)
- [Thrust] (space crafted weapons)
Ineligible modifiers are completely excluded from re-engineering system, i.e. it is both impossible to re-engineer an existing ineligible modifier into any other modifier, and also to re-engineer an eligible modifier into an ineligible one.
Where a specific modifier cannot be re-engineered, it is still often possible to re-engineer other eligible modifiers on an eligible item. Binding an un-bound item by equipping it will not impact its eligibility to be re-engineered.