Rom ascended to his position in 2375, when Zek appointed him as the new Grand Nagus as he thought he would be the perfect Nagus for a "new Ferenginar". In 2386, Rom used tax proceeds to start free schools which caused protests that rocked the capital of Ferenginar. Many Ferengi saw the free education as an assault on traditional values, and the demonstrations continued until Rom charged each protester ten slips of latinum for mass assembly without a proper permit. To get a permit to protest, Rom charged a bar of latinum and proceeds were used to fund the educational system.
The following year, social and economic reforms pushed by Grand Nagus Rom were a topic almost as important as the stock market. After several lawmakers were paid to vote against it, a bill which could have allowed the Ferengi Alliance to formally ally itself with the Federation was officialy rejected.
In 2405, Rom used a portion of the profits from his trade agreements with the Cardassians to finance the passage of expanded technology and information sharing agreements with the Federation. When opposition from the Economic Congress of Ferengi Advisers proved too costly to overcome, Rom took his victories and ended his fight for a formal alliance with the Federation.
- “Surface Tension”: In early 2410, Rom attends the Jenolan Dyson Sphere summit.
- “The Temporal Front”: Rom, together with his wife Leeta, is present at the Alliance summit on New Romulus.
- “Storm Clouds Gather”: Rom is one of the Alpha Quadrant leaders present at the Alliance summit on the Hur'q threat aboard Deep Space 9 and is consulted by the player.
- “Quark's Lucky Seven”: Rom convinces his brother Quark to reassemble the team who rescued their mother in an attempt to steal back the Sword of Kahless from T'Ket's vessel. Knowing that Brunt will try to deceive them, Quark and Rom come up with a treacherous plan to fake the sword being stolen by Leck after its retrieval, when in fact, they give it to Grilka of the House of Martok after the mission is completed.
- “Home”: Aboard Rom's flagship, Rom and Quark lead "the cavalry" into battle against the Hur'q in orbit of the Founders' homeworld. After the conflict with the Hur'q is mostly defused, Rom talks to the player at Quark's Bar on Deep Space 9. He points out the profit he will make by selling the holo-recording of the pivotal battle and suggests to publish the player's autobiography, offering 25% of the proceeds.
- “Time in a Bottle”: Nog brings one of his father's staffs of office to a meeting with Qwen aboard Drozana Station, where Qwen is attempting to sell a Krenim artifact. He is able to secure the artifact, and accompanies the player to the Kyana System in the U.S.S. Chimera to investigate its origins.
- "The Golden Nagus": Rom meets with Leeta; they discuss the Hur'q, who have been attacking Ferengi space. After discussing various options, Rom decides to attend an Alliance summit meeting at Deep Space 9 to seek assistance.
- For players who have completed “The Renegade's Regret”, Rom's flagship is seen docked at Deep Space 9 and can be hailed. After the completion of “Home”, the ship is no longer present.
|Details||Ferengi Alliance • Ferengi • Ferenginar • Lobi Crystal Consortium|
|NPCs||Belan • Brunt • Farek • Ferengi Collector • Greelan • Grym • Hadron • Isihl • Leck • Madran • Nog • Oglo • Pag • Pharm • Qaris • Quark • Qwen • Rom • Sovak • Ulish • Vux|
|NPC starships||S.S. Break Even • F.M.S. Grand Nagus • F.M.S. Karluk • Krannek • Nerrak • Shadow's Folly|