Romulan Star Empire
The Romulan Star Empire (or simply, the Romulan Empire) has been a major galactic power since the 22nd century and is the traditional government of the Romulan people and their subject worlds and species.
For most of recorded interstellar history, the Empire has been known for its xenophobic character and policies of extreme secrecy and territorial protectionism. The Hobus supernova of 2387, and the ensuing destruction of Romulus, threw the Empire into a great deal of turmoil, encompassing several civil wars, territorial separation, reunification and re-constitution.
Since then, a new capital was established on Rator III, where Sela eventually proclaimed herself Empress in 2408. However, after her disappearance in 2409, the status of Rator III as capital was challanged by Romulan and Reman fugitives who strive for an eventual re-unification with the Vulcans and have founded a new faction - the Romulan Republic - on New Romulus.
Culture[edit | edit source]
Romulan society is secretive and xenophobic. Romulan intellectuals thrive on deceit and subterfuge, and they favor more of a cunning approach to battle rather than sheer brute force, and this is reflected in the fact that most Romulan vessels have cloaking technology.
History[edit | edit source]
- Main article: History of the Romulan and Reman peoples
- Hakeev oversees Imperial Forces during the invasion of Virinat from his flagship, the I.R.W. Khnial. ( “Flight from Virinat”) In a broadcast to the citizens of the Romulan Star Empire, Sela blames the Romulan Republic for the destruction of the colony on Virinat. ( “Shadow Play”)
- Tal Shiar have taken over Gasko Station and work on Borg technology there. ( “Gasko Blues”)
- A Tal Shiar fleet that engages the player in orbit of Nimbus III, which hosts the Tal Shiar facility Installation 18. ( “Installation 18”)
- Listening Post Hephaestus is discovered, where Hakeev and Janek are present spying on various powers in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Janek raises concerns over the lives lost during their operations on the planet.
- It is discovered that Hakeev and the Tal Shiar are working for the Iconians, who have put Hakeev in charge of an arena on Nopada Prime in order to test the weaknesses of Alpha Quadrant species. ( “Coliseum”)
- In 2409 Romulan and Reman fugitives under D'Tan and Obisek, opposing Sela and the Tal Shiar, are motivated by the new vacuum of power. Together they found the Romulan Republic, a peaceful faction open towards the Federation and the Klingons, with New Romulus as its capital.
- In order to dissuade the Federation from its alliance with the Romulan Republic, Sela holds a peace conference between the Star Empire and the Federation in the Agrama System; however, the conference is a cover for an attack on Vulcan. ( “Empress Sela”)
- Sela and Colonel Hakeev attempt to brainwash Romulan Republic players into working for the Tal Shiar. ( “Mind Game”)
- In the Delta Corvi System the I.R.W. Leahval attempts to take fugitive Reman Vrimek into custody. ( “Cloak and Dagger”)
- In the Iconia System, Sela demands Federation players to deliver Taris to the Star Empire her role in the destruction of Romulus. However, the player instead transfers Taris to the U.S.S. Belfast to be given a Federation trial. ( “Taris”)
- Obisek kills Hakeev following the Reman Resistance's victory over the Tal Shiar in the Brea System. Sela then engages the attackers in the I.R.W. Leahval. After Sela is defeated she disappears as a mysterious vessel tows the Leahval through an Iconian gateway. The resulting power vacuum plunges the Empire even deeper into civil war and causes more elements of the remaining Imperial fleet to break away and defect. ( “Cutting the Cord”)
- Khiana of the Tal Shiar attempts to do a deal with D'Tan in order to influence the Romulan Republic and secure new leadership of the Tal Shiar, which has been in chaos in the absence of Sela and Hakeev. ( “Hidden Camera”)
Politics and government[edit | edit source]
The Romulan Star Empire used to be ruled by the Romulan Senate and the Continuing Committee, both of which were overseen by the Praetor. In 2408, the Romulan Star Empire was transformed into a monarchy ruled by self-proclaimed Empress Sela on Rator III. She enjoyed the support of the Empire's noble houses but it is not clear if the Romulan Senate has been dissolved by the latest reforms.
Current head of state[edit | edit source]
Former heads of state[edit | edit source]
- Praetor/Empress Sela - 2403-2408 Praetor, 2408-2409 Empress
- Praetor Taris - 2388-2403 (first praetor of the newly constituted Romulan Star Empire)
- Praetor Chulan - 2385-2387 (last praetor of the pre-Hobus Romulan Star Empire)
- Praetor Tal'aura - 2379-2384
- Praetor Shinzon (only for a short period in 2379 after the Reman coup d'état)
- Praetor Hiren - late 2370s-2379
- Praetor Neral - 2360s-2370s
Military[edit | edit source]
Starships[edit | edit source]
Ground Forces[edit | edit source]
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Space[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Romulan Star Empire is based on the Roman Empire. The former capital planets Romulus and Remus are named for the founders of Rome.
See Also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Romulan Star Empire (23rd century)
|Details||Romulan Star Empire (23rd century) • Romulan • Galorndon Core System • Tal Shiar|
|Ground Forces||Uhlan • Centurion • Subcommander Scientist|
|Starships||T'Liss Frigate • Khenn Cruiser • Thrai Battleship|
|NPC starships||I.R.W. Vauthil|
Romulan Star Empire (25th century)
|Details||Romulan Star Empire (25th century) • Romulan • Reman • Hirogen • Rator III • Gasko Station • Tal Shiar • Romulan History|
|Ground Forces||Romulan Analyst • Technician • Recruit (Romulan) • Uhlan • Sublieutenant Medic • Centurion • Centurion Engineer • Centurion Medic • Centurion Scientist • Subcommander • Subcommander Engineer • Subcommander Scientist • Commander • Romulan Captain|
|Starships||Romulan Shuttle • Scorpion Fighter • T'varo Light Warbird • Mogai Heavy Warbird • D'deridex Battlecruiser • Scimitar Dreadnought|
|NPCs||Arranhu • Charva • Hakeev • Janek • Khaiel N'Vek • Khiana • Ruul • Sela • Taris • Tarsen|
|NPC starships||I.R.W. Aethra • I.R.W. Areinnye • I.R.W. Esemar • I.R.W. Falcata • I.R.W. Khnial • I.R.W. Leahval • I.R.W. Rea • Sela's Armed Freighter • I.R.W. Sithesh|
Factions by Quadrant
|α||Breen Confederacy • Cardassian Union • Deferi • Drantzuli • Federation (Starfleet) • Ferengi Alliance • Kentari Union • Lukari Concordium • Na'kuhl • Tholian Assembly • True Way Alliance • Tzenkethi Coalition|
|β||Federation (Starfleet • DSC Starfleet • TOS Starfleet) • Gorn Hegemony • Iconian • Klingon Empire (Klingon Defense Force) • Klingon Empire Rebels • Klingons (2256) • Nausicaan • Orion Syndicate • Romulan Republic • Romulan Star Empire • Reman Resistance • Son'a • Vulcan|
|γ||Dominion • Fek'Ihri Horde • Hur'q|
|Δ||Automated Personnel Unit • Benthan • Borg Collective • The Cooperative • Bluegill • Hazari • Hierarchy • Hirogen • Kazon • Kobali • Krenim • Malon • Ocampa • Octanti • Talaxian • Turei • Tuterian • Vaadwaur Supremacy • Voth|
|Others||Creatures • Devidian • Elachi • Terran Empire • Undine (Species 8472) • Vorgon|