Commander Samuel Winters is a Human Starfleet officer and was the second in command of Earth Spacedock until 2409 when he received a new assignment. He reappeared in the Bajor System during the Dominion occupation of Deep Space 9. Following the destruction of U.S.S. Belfast, Captain Va'Kel Shon assumed command of U.S.S. Enterprise-F, with Winters as first officer.
- Samuel Winters is the fourth generation of his family to serve in Starfleet.
- After graduating from Starfleet Academy, he served as an engineer at Utopia Planitia and Deep Space Six, and has also served aboard the U.S.S. Tucker and the U.S.S. Montgomery Scott.
- “Operation Gamma” (FED): Winters pilots the players' small craft during a mission to the Gamma Quadrant to seek aid from the Dominion in retaking Deep Space 9 from Kar'ukan's forces.
- “Boldly They Rode”: Winters appears as First Officer on the newly-commissioned U.S.S. Enterprise-F to defeat Kar'ukan's fleet.
- “First Contact Day”: The player visits the bridge of the Enterprise at Utopia Planitia and meets with Samuel Winters and the rest of his crew.
- “Sphere of Influence”: Winters takes temporary command of the Enterprise-F during a battle against Elachi forces in the Jouret System while Captain Shon is with the player.
- “Surface Tension”: In early 2410, Rear Admiral Tuvok asks the player to assist in the organization of a conference of major Alpha and Beta Quadrant powers on the future of the Jenolan Dyson Sphere. Captain Shon and Commander Winters accompany Federation players to the talks.
- Badlands Battlezone: Commander Winters' Mirror Universe counterpart is a member of the crew of Admiral Leeta's I.S.S. Enterprise.
- In Tales of the War #13, Commander Winters is awakened during the night by Jirelle Kav; the Enterprise has received a distress call from a freighter under attack by the Heralds. Commander Winters reports to the bridge vowing to wake Captain Shon once the Enterprise arrives at the freighter.