Season Fifteen: Age of Discovery was released on October 9, 2018 for PC and set to release in November 13, 2018 for Consoles. It is the Part 1 of series of content updates related to Star Trek: Discovery. The release included a DSC Starfleet starting experience, as well as improvements on the New Player Experience and streamlining of several game systems.
Discovery Starting Experience
A new Discovery-era Starfleet faction was introduced, including a new tutorial, featuring Mary Wiseman as Sylvia Tilly, set in 2256. Like the TOS Starfleet faction, this faction merges with the 25th century Starfleet faction after its period arc (which can also be played by other factions as a simulation).
Mission Journal Streamlining
The story progression was changed slightly, with some missions being polished, some being removed until they're polished, some arcs being changed into side content, and the addition of wrapper missions for several groups of queues.
- “Hide and Seek”
- “Stop the Signal”
- “The Kuvah'Magh”
- “Treasure Trading Station”
- “Task Force Hippocrates”
- “The Ultimate Klingon”
- “City on the Edge of Never”
- “Past Imperfect”
The arcs turned into side-content are:
- Story Arc: Spectres
- Story Arc: Wasteland (except for Romulan Republic characters)
- Story Arc: Lost Dominion
- Story Arc: Cold War
Some of the new wrapper missions include:
- “Task Force Operations: Age of Discovery”
- “Task Force Operations: Romulan Imperial Minefield”
- “Task Force Operations: Romulan Mystery”
- “Task Force Operations: Cardassian Struggle”
- “Task Force Operations: Borg Advance”
- “Task Force Operations: New Romulus”
- “Task Force Operations: Solanae Dyson Sphere”
- “Task Force Operations: Delta Quadrant”
Task Force Operations
With this change, a new feature to TFOs was added: Random Task Force Operations. Entering into a Random Task Force Operation is as easy as clicking a single button, located prominently within the PvE Group Content interface. Options exist to opt into Normal Difficulty or Advanced Difficulty content, allowing players some customization for the type of group content they want to opt into experiencing.
Players may participate in Random TFOs without any cooldown or lockout period, immediately re-entering a new one after the previous TFO is completed. Completing a TFO via the Random system granted bonus rewards, in addition to whatever the TFO itself rewards for completion. These rewards are granted immediately upon success, and there is no limit to the number of times that a player can receive them.
There was also a new Cross-Faction Task Force Operation releasing with Season 15:
With Age of Discovery, the reputation system was expanded to include an extra tier which included;
- Improved Effectiveness of Reputation Traits
- Improved Set Weapon Damage
- Cosmetic Social Zone Ability
Alongside additional projects upon hitting Tier 6 for the following:
- Account Wide Discount for Reputation Gear Projects
- Alternate Energy Types for Set Weapons (for example, a Phaser variant of the Terran Task Force Beam Array)
- Alternate Vanity Shield Visuals
- A Fleet Ship Module and Respec Token per reputation complete
In addition, upon hitting Tier V in a reputation it now sponsored that reputation for the entire account - replacing the previous Reputation Sponsorship system.
- DSC Starfleet Tutorial Starship
- Infinity Lock Box
- Infinity Promotion! - Research & Development Pack
- Q's Winter Wonderland 2018
- Swarm Lock Box
- Zen Store
- Developer Blog: Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery
- Developer Blog: Discover New Adventures This Fall
- Developer Blog: Welcome to the Age of Discovery
- Developer Blog: Star Trek Online's 2018/2019 Roadmap!