Section 31 is a rogue organization that violates the law and ethics of the Federation in the course of defending Federation interests. Section 31 is distinct from Starfleet Intelligence, and is considered more of a counterpart to the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order than Starfleet Intelligence due to its extra-judicial operations.
While they report to no one and are not sanctioned by Starfleet of the Federation, they are known to have enabling accomplices and supporters at the highest levels of the chain of command. In the 24th Century, Starfleet does not acknowledge the existence of Section 31 although it operated more openly during the 23rd Century.
Section 31 dates back to the founding of Starfleet on United Earth in the 22nd Century; its name derives from Section 31 of the Starfleet charter that grants extraordinary measures in times of extreme threat.
- Franklin Drake coordinates the player's efforts against the Devidians in the Eta Eridani Sector Block in:
- “Empress Sela”: Section 31 operative Tokath helps the player uncover Sela's hidden motives for inviting the Federation to a peace conference.
- “Suspect”: The player rescues Drake from the True Way Alliance, and then work to resolve a situation aboard the U.S.S. Obsidian.
- “Traelus System - Satellite Repair”: Drake tasks the player with repairing the advanced warning satellites in the Traelus System, which have fallen into a state of disrepair.
- “Hearts and Minds”: Drake sends the player to check up on Dr. Sibak on the Donatu Prime Lunar Research Station.
- Playable starships
- Kelvin Vengeance Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
- Section 31 Command Heavy Battlecruiser
- Section 31 Intel Science Destroyer
- Ground items
- Faulty Section 31 Holo-Disguise
- Section 31 Phaser Pistol
- Section 31 Heavy Phaser Rifle
- Universal Kit Module - Agonizer Brain Scramble
- Universal Kit Module - Covert Assault Drone
- Universal Kit Module - Reveal Mine Trap
- Universal Kit Module - Stasis Bubble
- Universal Kit Module - Weaponized Dark Matter
- Space items
- Section 31 Vanity Shield
- Console - Universal - Boronite Laced Weaponry
- Console - Universal - Computer Assisted Flight Algorithms
- Genetic Resequencer - Ground Trait: Ambush Fighter
- Genetic Resequencer - Ground Trait: Dangers to the Alliance
- Genetic Resequencer - Ground Trait: Unconventional Gear
- Genetic Resequencer - Space Trait: Holographic Mirage Decoys
- Genetic Resequencer - Space Trait: Threat Assessment Algorithms
- Genetic Resequencer - Space Trait: Unconventional Systems
- Genetic Resequencer - Starship Trait: Nano-Infestation
- Genetic Resequencer - Starship Trait: Need-to-Know Basis
- The player originally met Franklin Drake during “Under the Cover of Night”, in which he filled the role later given to another Section 31 operative called T'Par. Later, the mission was completely removed from the game as part of the 5 Year Anniversary Event.