- Note that compass points relate to the in-game map, not real-life Marin County
Starfleet Academy is the collective name of Starfleet's training facilities located in San Francisco, Earth. It was officially established in 2161, with the main grounds located in Marin County. To the southwest of the academy is the Golden Gate Bridge (rebuilt after the devastating Breen attack of 2375), whilst to the south across the strait lies Starfleet Headquarters, the Presidio, and downtown San Francisco. The academy motto is Ex Astris, Scientia meaning "from the stars, knowledge."
New players of the Federation start at Starfleet Academy. After the tutorial, the Academy can be accessed from the Sol System or Earth Spacedock and serves as a social map and as a door for Foundry missions. There are mail, bank, exchange, and tailor services. Numerous cadets and professors roam the campus grounds.
Its counterpart on the Klingon side is the Klingon Academy.
- 1 Locations
- 2 Missions, events and accolades
- 3 Notes
- 4 Gallery
- 5 External Links
- 6 References
Located to the southeast of the academy grounds and cannot currently be accessed.
The main building is located to the east, and is home to: the Club 602 (north); Holodeck 1-3 (in the east, where you can access mission logs); and the Office (south).
- Professor Neal Meyer, instructor for the Starfleet Academy Event
- Veteran Dilithium Refiner
- Byron Morris
- A memorial plaque dedicated to deceased Star Trek Online developer Mark Valentine.
- Wanda Yarbo, at the information desk
- Academy Staff - Bank Services, a Ferengi who can help access personal and fleet bank access bank
- Academy Staff - Mail Services, a Human who can help access mail
- Academy Staff - Exchange Services, an Andorian who can help access exchange
- Academy Staff - Tailor Services, lets you customize clothing
- Lieutenant Jillian Searfoss - A Personnel Officer who helps you with your bridge officer choices if you skip over the tutorial.
- Renee B'kir
Located to the south of the academy grounds and cannot currently be accessed.
- Security Officer
Located to the southwest of the academy grounds and cannot currently be accessed.
- Academy Cadet
Unnamed Circular Building
An unnamed circular building located to the northwest of the academy grounds became accessible in Season 5.
- Lieutenant Ferra, a Caitian commendation duty officer vendor
- Commander Viala, History Professor responsible for lore missions
- An unnamed Personnel Officer who assists with obtaining new duty officers and reassigning older ones
- Captain Taggart (only during “Graduation Day”), his office is within the building and new Federation players have to seek him out
In the alley to the rear of the building:
Missions, events and accolades
- “Graduation Day”: New Federation players begin their career on the Starfleet Academy grounds on the day of their graduation in 2409.
- “History 101: Alpha Quadrant from 2380”: Short daily mission to acquire a datachip from a nearby library computer containing information about the history contained in the Path to 2409, the events leading up to the beginning of Star Trek Online. The datachips are part of 29 volumes, each containing up to 9 chapters. When used, a datachip grants an accolade, completing a volume gives an extra accolade (see also: Accolade/Lore).
- “History 102: Alpha Quadrant Midterm”: Short daily mission to answer a random question on the history between 2380-2409 at a nearby computer station (see also: Lore).
- “Academy Event” (only during Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend): Partner with a science cadet and scan particles that appear all over the Academy to collect [Particle Fragment]s which can then be exchanged for Dilithium Ore Containers.
- “Midnight”: After the Iconian War is concluded in 2410, the player meets Captains Kagran, Harry Kim, Nog, & Tom Paris and former Empress Sela at Starfleet Academy. While fireworks take place above Golden Gate Bridge, they reflect on the events of the war.
- “Party Crashers”: During the 2 Year Anniversary Event, Q asked the players to catch mini-Qs scattered all over the Academy grounds.
- “The Next Generation: 25th Anniversary”: From July 19-24, 2012, speak with a holographic representation of young Worf in the holodeck of either Starfleet or Klingon Academy and unlock unique rewards.
- “Present Patrol”: During the 3 Year Anniversary Event, Q asked the players to convince mini-Qs scattered over the Academy grounds to attend his party. However, they wouldn't give in before presenting you with a little puzzle...
- “Party Patrol”: During the 4 Year Anniversary Event, and like the previous year, the players have to solve the puzzles presented by the mini-Qs.
- See also: Memorials.
Scattered around the Academy grounds are several memorial plaques that refer to prominent events and people, associated with the Academy compound.
|Memorial Plaque Text||Reference|
|On June 30, 2161, representatives from Earth, Vulcan, Andoria and Tellar met at this site to sign the agreement creating the United Federation of Planets.||Founding of the United Federation of Planets in 2161|
|Starfleet Academy, founded 2161. Ex Astris, Scientia||Founding of Starfleet Academy in 2161|
|The unbeatable scenario -- beaten! The Class of 2258||James T. Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru Scenario in 2258|
|Dedicated to George and Gracie by the graduating class of 2286||The humpback whales George and Gracie being released in San Francisco Bay in 2286|
|For Joshua, from Nova Squadron and the Class of 2368||The accidental death of cadet Joshua Albert in 2368|
|Dedicated to the 2,147 people killed in the Breen attacks on Francisco on Stardate 52617.49. You will never be forgotten.||The victims of the Breen Attack on San Francisco in 2375|
|BOOTHBY. 2263-2382. "I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed in there, and I am prepared to expect wonders."||Groundskeeper Boothby who lived from 2263 until 2382|
- In September 2013 an additional memorial was added, the Mark Valentine Memorial, with an ever-burning torch and the notation "To Absent Friends". This refers to Cryptic Studios' Mark Valentine, who died of cancer early that month.
- "Discover New Adventures This Fall": In 2256, three days after the Battle of the Binary Stars, Starfleet captain and Academy instructor Anton Schaefer contemplates the nature of the new Federation-Klingon conflict and its effect on his cadets.
A frequent complaint from new visitors to the Academy is of the grayed out Beam Up button near the minimap. Since a wide choice of beam to locations exist, a special Beam Out button is provided, normally at the lower right of the screen. New Visitors may need to move away from any being or object for that button to show up.
The apparent location of the Academy grounds is actually in Marin County, slightly to the north of the City of San Francisco, on the opposite side of the Golden Gate Strait. (Marin County and the City of San Francisco occupy the two peninsulas which separate San Francisco Bay from the Pacific Ocean, and which are linked by the Golden Gate Bridge.) This explains why the city is visible at the far (southern) end of the Golden Gate Bridge in-game. (That the visible, farther end of the Bridge is the south end can also be recognized by the mass on the shoreline slightly below and to the left of the Bridge, which is probably Fort Point.) However, the compass points given earlier in this article, as well as the orientation of the in-game map, are not consistent with this fact.
Academy Staff - Tailor Services
Academy Staff - Bank Services
Academy Staff - Mail Services
Academy Staff - Exchange Services
Club 602 Bartender 1
Club 602 Bartender 2
Male Security Officer
Female Security Officer
- Starfleet Academy (Earth) at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- 602 Club at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Breen attack on Earth at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Boothby at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- George and Gracie at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Joshua Albert at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- Star Trek Online Starfleet Academy Tour video at YouTube.
- This is the only instance that Klingon Empire players (and aligned Romulan Republic players) can visit Starfleet Academy. However, as the memorial plaques cannot be read during the mission, the associated accolade remains limited to Federation players.