A Strange Alien Artifact is primarily obtained upon completion of “Negotiate Delivery of Rare Commodities” and the followup, “Negotiate Additional Delivery of Rare Commodities”. These assignments are generally thought to be part of the "Children's Toys" assignment chain — though this "chain" is really only a loose collection of assignments, rather than a series of compulsory steps. Since the cool down period on the "Additional" assignment is three days, Strange Alien Artifacts are somewhat rare, and thus expensive on the exchange. Its value of 100 EC bears absolutely no relation to what it actually sells for, which is typically over 100 000 EC.
A secondary track for getting Strange Alien Artifacts is through the various artifact hunting assignments, including "Recover Artifacts from...", "Collect Artifacts from...", "Salvage Artifacts from...", "Study Ruins on..." Very occasionally, critical success in these missions can result in one, and in very rare occurrences 2, Strange Alien Artifact.
Nevertheless, the single most reliable way to get a Strange Alien Artifact remains “Negotiate Additional Delivery of Rare Commodities”.
- Ensure you have a Development Lab Scientist duty officer.
- Option 1: From inside of your ship, if full interior is accessible, take the turbolift to the Main Engineering and talk to the Science Officer.
- Option 2: If bridge is the only ship's interior map, go to the captains ready room or find a nearby Contact Duty Officers console and choose "Science".
- Select Special Projects -> “Infuse Alien Artifact with Rare Particles”
- This will generate a new assignment in your DOFF assignments area.