Subspace is the medium through which faster-than-light travel and communication is possible, and an integral part of the space-time continuum that co-exists alongside normal space, while being distinct from it. Subspace contains an infinite number of domains, such as the mycelial network and underspace, and has been compared to a honeycomb with an infinite number of cells. Subspace is home to the Solanae encountered by the U.S.S. Enterprise-D and the Elachi.
- Prior to the 15th Century, the Vaadwaur controlled a network of subspace tunnels known as the Underspace. Upon their defeat, control of the Underspace fell to the Turei.
- In the late 23rd Century, the Federation discovered the Omega Particle which is capable of destroying subspace for vast areas, making it impossible to use warp drive; the technology is subsequently banned and classified.
- Sometime in the 23rd Century or 24th Century, the Second Khitomer Accords banned the use of Isolytic subspace weapons, which caused a tear in subspace. The Son'a however, flout this ban.
- In 2369, the Solanae secretly abducted numerous crew members from the Enterprise-D and performed experiments on them. They attempted to create a pocket of their native domain by causing an expanding spatial rupture that threatened the ship. The rupture is eventually sealed with a graviton pulse.
- In 2409, the Elachi stage their offensive against the Romulan Republic from a subspace cell. Later the same year, the Solanae-controlled region of subspace is revisited where information found in Storage Facility Z98 confirms that the Solanae are servants of the Iconians.
- In 2410, Outpost 001 is discovered in subspace and is home to a number of Elachi and Solanae working to advance the goals of the Iconians.
The Solanae have resided in subspace for thousands of years as their molecular structure was modified to be comprised of solanogen, a material that can only exist in subspace, following a large scale accident which exposed them to massive amounts of tetryonic energy.
The Elachi are another race active in subspace that serves the Iconians. Prior to becoming Iconian servitors, they originated in the mycelial network, a domain of subspace. Since leaving, the Elachi operate bases in other domains of subspace including Station Alpha and Subspace Base 002. The Elachi use it as a staging ground for their invasion of the Romulan Republic.
- “Devil's Choice”: The player uses a captured Elachi S'golth Escort, Target Alpha, to infiltrate a massive Elachi Base hidden in subspace.
- “Sphere of Influence”: The player uses an Iconian gateway to travel to Solanae Storage Facility Z98 in subspace, where the player learns more about the gateways. Several gateways are found to have been hidden in subspace by the Iconians. These gateways are later pushed into normal space when the Gateway network is reset to save New Romulus.
- “Unsafe Practices”: The player learns from a Voth called Nelen Exil that a large scale accident occurred when the Solanae activated the Solanae Dyson Sphere thousands of years ago, prompting the survivors to flee into subspace in order to survive as their molecular structure had been changed by exposure to massive amounts of tetryonic energy.
- “Wyanti System Patrol”: When the Turei thieves escape through Underspace, the player's ship pursues.
- “Takedown”: During the Delta Alliance's assault on Vaadwaur Prime, the Turei are assigned to secure Underspace to prevent the Vaadwaur from escaping or bringing in reinforcements.
- “Brushfire”: The Son'a use subspace weapons against the player.
- “What's Left Behind”: The player locates Outpost 001 in subspace and goes there to investigate how the Vaadwaur became such a powerful force in the Delta Quadrant.
- “Beneath the Skin”: The player enters the mycelial network to repair the damage done by J'Ula.
- “Mycelial Realm”: Players must remove Klingon probes from the mycelial network while fighting off the Elachi.
Missions formerly involved
- “Preemptive Strike”: The Romulan Star Empire secretly builds subspace weapons on Rator III, intending to use them against Vulcan and the rest of the Federation to avenge the destruction of Romulus.
|Details||Elachi • Subspace • Mycelial network • Station Alpha • Subspace Base 002 • Outpost 001|
|Ground Forces||Skittering Saboteur • Shareth Drone • Iggoleth Drone • Noxious Gas Drone • Hast'oroth Assault Drone • Elachi Incubator • Elachi Grunt • Elachi Technician • Elachi Scanner • Elachi Researcher • Elachi Beta • Elachi Predator|
|Starships||Oschu Shuttle • Qulash Frigate • Qulash Corruptor Frigate • Qulash Entangler Frigate • S'golth Escort • Elachi Walker • Monbosh Battleship • Monbosh Support Craft • Monbosh Command Craft • Sheshar Dreadnought|
|NPCs||Elachi Commander • Elachi Station Commander • Tarsev|
|NPC starships||Target Alpha • F.E.V. Liberator|