The U.S.S. Challenger is a Galaxy Class Cruiser commanded by Captain Geordi La Forge, former chief engineer of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E and designer of the "Jellyfish" prototype that Ambassador Spock piloted to the Hobus System.
History[edit | edit source]
- 2378: The Challenger is part of a Starfleet task force sent to counter an imminent Borg attack, but instead witnesses the return of the U.S.S. Voyager to the Alpha Quadrant.
- 2397: Captain Geordi La Forge assumes command of the Challenger.
Crew[edit | edit source]
- Captain Geordi La Forge
- Ensign N'vall
Missions involved[edit | edit source]
- “Diplomatic Orders”: The Challenger is part of a battle group that warps in to assist the player against an Undine Tethys Bio-Dreadnought.
- “Mars, the Bringer of War”: While escaping Penal Colony 47, the player is confronted by a Federation blockade led by the Challenger.
- “Beyond the Nexus”: While investigating the loss of contact with the U.S.S. Madison, which had been near the Nexus investigating a distress signal from the long-lost U.S.S. Forrestal, the Challenger is disabled by an energy blast. Its crew is able to make repairs and assist the player's ship in defeating the Forrestal, whose crew members are being mind-controlled by Khaj'Buur.
- “Melting Pot”: The Challenger, with the aid of the L.S.S. Reskava and the player, studies unusual anomalies present in the Dranuur System. Later, the Challenger aids the player in repelling a Tzenkethi attack on the joint Lukari/Kentari colony being established there.
- “Scylla and Charybdis”: The ship joins the player in the defense of Bajor.
Other involvement[edit | edit source]
- "New Featured Episode: 'Beyond the Nexus'": The Challenger is docked at Earth Spacedock, where its crew have been enjoying shore leave. Ensign N’vall brings Captain La Forge new orders to investigate the Nexus.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Challenger appeared in the Star Trek: Voyager episodes "Timeless" and "Endgame".
- As of Season 9: A New Accord and up until Delta Rising, the Challenger could be seen in the Sol System near Earth Spacedock. It was subsequently moved inside ESD but was removed from both the exterior and interior maps by the time it began making appearances in mission content.
- The U.S.S. Challenger was named in honor of the ill-fated Space Shuttle Challenger which exploded shortly after liftoff in 1986.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- USS Challenger (NCC-71099) at Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki.
- USS Challenger (NCC-71099) at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki.