|Date:||2387/2409 – 2410|
|Cause:||Infiltration of major powers by shapeshifters|
|Result:||Partial destruction of Earth Space Dock and Qo'noS shipyards.|
Undine withdraw from Iconian War.
Formation of the Alliance.
| Beta Quadrant Powers
The Undine War, also known as the Long War, was a series of encounters and conflicts between the Undine and major powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, mainly the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire.
Background[edit | edit source]
- The Borg discover the existence of the Undine, and invade fluidic space in an attempt to assimilate the species. The plan backfires, as the Undine are immune to their attacks and begin striking back at the Collective's territory in the Delta Quadrant.
- The U.S.S. Voyager - having been stranded in the Delta Quadrant three years earlier - wanders into the crossfire and narrowly escapes destruction at the hands of a Nicor Bioship. The crew discovers that the Undine intend to wipe out all life in the galaxy, and therefore represent a greater threat than the Borg. They form an alliance with the Collective, helping them to develop technology to use against the invaders in return for safe passage through Borg space.
- Equipped with enhanced Borg technology, Voyager enters fludic space and destroys four Undine vessels in a show of force. After returning to normal space and defeating thirteen more, the Undine determine that the invasion is not worth the price and withdraw their ships.
Infiltration[edit | edit source]
- Captain Data, Geordi La Forge, and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise are able to seal a massive rift to Fluidic Space.
- While recovering on Vulcan from wounds sustained during a battle against Nero, General Worf is attacked by an Undine. He manages to defeat his attacker, but is forced to disintegrate the body.
- During a baseball game between the Pike City Pioneers and the S'Yahazah City Talons, a team representing the Gorn Hegemony in diplomatic negotiations with the Klingon Empire, the pitcher for the Talons abruptly reverts to Undine form. The infiltrator is swiftly killed by the other members of the Gorn team. It is suggested that the reversion was caused by an excessive amount of alcoholic Meridor consumed by the Undine.
- Ja'rod, the leader of the Klingon House of Duras, is attacked by three shape-shifting aliens during his shore leave on Rha'darus. He kills two of them and manages to incapacitate the third for further interrogation. The shape-shifter reveals that it is an Undine, and that it was sent to kill and subsequently impersonate Ja'rod to infiltrate the Klingon High Command.
- The I.K.S. Kang returns to Qo'noS with evidence showing that Undine infiltrators are controlling the Gorn Hegemony and that they are responsible for the current conflict with the Klingon Empire. Chancellor J'mpok subsequently declares war on the Hegemony.
- A human woman is arrested for the murder of her husband, who she suspected of being an Undine infiltrator.
- Worf makes a personal appeal to the Federation Council and Starfleet for Federation support of the Klingons' fight against the Undine infiltration of the Alpha Quadrant. When he is rebuffed, he cuts ties with the Federation.
- The Gorn Hegemony surrenders to the Klingon Empire, and the Klingons publicly execute more than a dozen Undine infiltrators in the Gorn government and military.
- Date Unknown:
- Raka, a lieutenant of Hassan the Undying, is revealed to be an Undine infiltrator after being exposed to catalyzed decalithium. The Undine is killed by a Starfleet security team.
- Elim Garak claims to have encountered an Undine infiltrator disguised as a member of a security detail while escorting Natima Lang to the Detapa Council. According to Garak, the Undine's disguise momentarily failed. The suspect was debriefed, but later disappeared.
- An attempted temporal incursion by the Undine is foiled by the Department of Temporal Investigations. It is rumoured, but not confirmed, that Temporal Investigations played a much larger role in the fight against the Undine.
Open warfare[edit | edit source]
- “Stop the Signal”: An Undine agent infiltrates a Klingon listening post in the Bomari System. When the player attacks the base, the agent retreats to its Tethys Bio-Dreadnought. The vessel is subsequently intercepted and destroyed by a Klingon Defense Force fleet with help from the player.
- “Facility 4028”: The player encounters the Undine who impersonated T'Vix during a prison break at Facility 4028.
- “A Gathering Darkness”: Shortly before Undine forces completely destroy Omicron Kappa II after it was assimilated by the Borg, a Borg Sphere escapes with a captured Undine.
- “Assimilation”: The Borg have developed the technology needed to assimilate the Undine, and launch a second invasion of fluidic space. Meanwhile, the captured Undine is being assimilated on a Cube in the NGC-4447 System.
- “Fluid Dynamics”: Along with a Starfleet task force under the command of Admiral Tuvok on the U.S.S. Voyager, the player enters fluidic space in order to thwart the Collective's attempt to assimilate the Undine.
- “A Step Between Stars”: Eric Cooper reveals himself as an Undine infiltrator after tricking the player and Rear Admiral Tuvok into opening an Iconian Gateway into the Jenolan Dyson Sphere, thus giving the Undine an easy route into the Alpha Quadrant. The player must then defeat an Undine invasion force.
- “Surface Tension”: As a distraction from their main target, the Undine launch an ambush on the Sol System in early 2410, while in fact pushing to destroy Qo'noS with a planet killer. This and the preceding events lead to the end of the Federation-Klingon War and the formation of the Alliance.
- “Undine Assault”: Aside from the Sol and Qo'noS Systems, the Undine have also launched planet killers towards Gornar, Ferenginar, Cardassia Prime and Andoria. Joint Federation-Klingon-Romulan forces are dispatched to protect these worlds.
- “Undine Infiltration”: After exposing an Undine infiltrator in Hathon on Bajor, an entire secret base is revealed in caves beneath the city.
- “Viscous Cycle”: A joint Federation-Klingon-Romulan task force enters fluidic space in order to destroy Undine shipyards "growing" planet killers.
- “Fluidic Destruction”: The Undine battle players for control of the Undine Battlezone in the Solanae Dyson Sphere.
- “Mindscape”: After tracking "Cooper" to the Undine Command Bioship, Tuvok is able to initiate a mind meld with the vessel, convincing the Undine that they have been manipulated by the Iconians. The Undine withdraw to Fluidic space, effectively ending the Undine War.