Wildlife refers to non-sentient creatures found on various planets in the Galaxy but also in space. Alternative designations can be Critter, Creature, Beast or Fauna. Most of them react aggressively to incursion into their territory.
Types of Fauna
Several basic types of creatures can be differentiated by their body structure.
Spider-like creatures dwell in a wide variety of environments, including deserts, ice caves and remote areas of space stations. They appear in packs and can move very fast. Their bite is poisonous. Spiders are smaller than quadrupeds.
Cosmozoans are creatures spending most of their life in space. Some of them can be extremely dangerous, while others adhere to a more peaceful lifestyle. Many species plant their eggs on planets and move into space after hatching. Most cosmozoans are as large as starships, while some are considerably bigger.
Four-legged mammals and reptiles appear on many planets. They usually live in packs and attack by biting their prey. Over time, sentient species have domesticated many of these. They're approximately half as tall as humanoids.
Tribbles are small, round, furry creatures. They are renown for their extremely fast reproductive system. Being born pregnant, those animals reproduce within a very short amount of time, given that enough food can be consumed. They have beneficial effects on most humanoid species, except for Klingons.
Worms are non-arthropod invertebrates. One species of worm is encountered on Nopada Prime. These live underground and prey with their mouths and acid venom they eject. These creatures vary in size, from being about twice as large as humanoids to giant Elder worms who reach the height of a multi-storied building.
- Cocytan Beast
- Dewan arthropod
- Desert Acari
- Glikar'ma Ice Spider
- Regalian Fleaspider
- Talarian Hook Spider
Missions encountered (selection)
- “Crystalline Catastrophe”: Crystalline Entities are roaming both the Teneebia Sector and Klingon space.
- “Bringing Down the House”: Aggressive Wild Targs live in packs in the Ketha Lowlands on Qo'noS
- “What Lies Beneath”: Talarian Hook Spiders dwell in the abandoned sections of Drozana Station.
- “Mine Enemy”: Romulan miners in the Hfihar System have tamed some Warriguls. Wild specimens live directly outside the settlement. The player also encounters a Horta while exploring the mine.
- “Coliseum”: Commander Hakeev sends the player to fight several critters in his arena: Desert Acari spiders, Warriguls, Sehlat cats and Aehallh Worms. These also live in the Nopadan desert's canyon.
- “Fastest Game On Ice”: Among the creatures the player can compete in Q's race are Snow Mastiffs, Snow Possums, and Gli'karma Ice Spiders.
- “Alpha”: The jungle of Orith II is rife with a diverse flora and fauna, including Saurs, Orithian Saber Cats and Orithian Creepers.
- “Hearts and Minds”: The lab of Dr. Sibak contains Modified Regalian Fleaspiders.
- “Colony Invasion”: Mook, a mature, bad-tempered Mugato, breaks free of its cage during an invasion of the Colony, attacking players and invaders alike.
- “Beginning of a New Future”: The player encounters various species of wildlife while aiding the colonists on New Romulus:
- “New Romulus: The Atlai”: The player is assigned to tag baby Nanovs, disperse swarms of Vihranen, and observe reclusive Rihan sailbacks.
- “New Romulus: Vastam Peaks”: The player repels swarming Vihranen and rescues lost colonists from attacking Dewan arthropods.
- “New Romulus: Paehhos Crater”: Players study Vivver cats and Armored hathans.
- Some critters are available as Pets, such as the Targ Pup and the Sehlat Cub.
- In-game, Hortas are considered fauna, although they're sentient.
- Before their removal, Species M-113 was listed as wildlife.
|Creatures in Star Trek Online|
|Animals||Aehallh Worm • Armored hatham • Cocytan Beast • Desert Acari • Dewan arthropod • Driclae • Epohh • Fumarole Worm • Glikar'ma Ice Spider • Jackal Mastiff • Mook • Mugato • Nanov • Orithian Creeper • Orithian Saber Cat • Regalian Fleaspider • Rihan sailback • Risian Tropical Bird • Saur • Sehlat • Snow Possum • Talarian Hook Spider • Tardigrade • Targ • Vihranen • Vivver cat • Warrigul|
|Cosmozoans||Crystalline Entity • Farpoint Cnidarian • Gekli • Idran Swarmer|
|See also||Cosmozoan • Pet • Wildlife|