Yridians have a small stature, similar to the Tellarites. Their ears are enlarged, though not as huge as Ferengi lobes. Main feature is the wrinkled skin. Deep lines cover the body. Skin tones range from pale pink to grey.
Yridians are generally considered smugglers and schemers out for personal gain. Commodities Broker Yeserin, among others, went into space to rectify the image. He considers this stereotype not representative of the entire species.
- First contact with Humans may have occurred as early as the 22nd century. (ENT episode "Twilight")
- Later they were believed extinct by both the Federation and the Borg Collective. Formal first contact between the Federation and the Yridians was established in the mid-to-late 24th century by Commander Rudolph Ransom. (VOY episode "Equinox")
- In 2409, a Yridian named Yeserin is a broker at Deep Space Nine.
- “The Price of Neutrality”: Romulan Republic players are sent to investigate rumors about illegal weapon depots at a Yridian colony on Chaltok IV in the Chaltok System.
- “Friend or Foe”: Klingon Empire players go to the Vor System to investigate an Yridian space station there. Although the station is conscripted by the Empire, it is revealed that the Yridians have been secretly selling technology and weapons to the Tal Shiar.
- A female Yridian officer can be seen in an early trailer, Expanding Universe, Part 1 (video at Youtube; the Yiridan is approx. at time index 01.00). This trailer presented upcoming playable species. However, Yridians are currently not on schedule.
- However, as of the Fleet Dilithium Mine Holding, Yridian Miners are available as obtainable Duty Officers.